Get Some Dance Inspiration with Our Book Picks
by Rachel Minnie
Can your little dancers not get enough of anything ballet? The leotards, the tights, the skirts! Well, we’ve whittled down the list of ballet-inspired books to give you the Leotard Boutique’s top picks.
For all ages
- Swan Lake by Valeria Docampo (Illustrator)
Based on the New York City Ballet’s classic production. You can almost hear the theme song as you take in the serene illustrations.
- The Swamp Rat Ballet by Glenn Davison
Hear us out. Ballet and nature combine in a magical way for young and old alike.
For ages 4-8
- Misty Copeland: Ballet Star (I Can Read 1 Book) by Sarah Howden
A brief summary of superstar ballerina Misty Copeland’s life and career.
- Bayou Ballet by Alexis Braud
An alligator in a tutu? Yes, please! Fun illustrations and ballet terms.
- Dogs Don’t Do Ballet by Anna Kemp
Adorable picture book with one determined pup.
- Ballet Bunnies by Lucy Freegard
Bunnies in tutus? Yes, please! Positive message about trying something new.
For ages 8-10+
- Danza!: Amalia Hernández and El Ballet Folklórico de México by Duncan Tonatiuh
A biography about dancer Amalia Hernandez, founder of El Ballet Folklórico de México.
- Dance! Dance! Underpants! (Ballet Cat Series) by Bob Shea
A funny book with a positive message about confronting your fears.
- The Nutcracker Ballet Mystery (Nancy Drew Series #110) by Carolyn Keen
A classic Nancy Drew mystery that appeals to both kids and those of us who grew up reading Carolyn Keen mysteries.
- Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet by Jane Hackett
A beginner ballet instructional book about basic ballet exercises and positions with DVD.